I'm realizing more and more that Mom was right: sisters truly do make the bestest friends. When sisters are together, old jokes come bubbling up and out, surprising you both with a flood of memories and silliness that tastes like nine years old again and sunshine and peanut-butter-banana sandwiches in the backyard forts we used to make.
This weekend, her clear, fluted voice made me remember how much fun harmonizing can be, and we jammed out to Avalon's soulful rendition of "I'll fly away" as we drove to the restaurant for dessert. Smack in the middle of the work day on Friday, my boss allowed me to spend three refreshing hours with her, eating fajitas, browsing at World Market, and sharing the things God is teaching our hearts.
That night we went with the homegroup to enjoy the "First Friday" exhibits and late-closing restaurants in the historic downtown district. There were street musicians, face-painters, indie bands, and even several elderly representatives from the spinning and weaving guild who fascinated us with the whirling bobbins of their spinning wheels. Unlike past visits, my sister was now the age of the students in the college group, and her sweetness and energy lent an extra element of fun to the hangout.
And then, yesterday morning, she and Jordan both held me as I cried over the death of my friend, Dana, snuggling close in our big bed. There is no pricetag big enough for understanding like that.
Kare-bear, I am so glad you came this weekend! Here are some pictures and a video of the time:
These street drummers are members of the University's percussion team. Aren't they awesome?
We had a great time playing Phase 10!
My heart is full just listening to the fullness of yours! Sweet fellowship...what a blessing! I'm so glad you savored it!! Love you both!
ReplyDelete