My English professor has been lecturing about Postmodernism, and she issued a challenge for extra credit: get rid of the "white noise" of gadgets, texting, and other modern distractions for twenty four hours. Afterward, she wanted us to write a summary of our experience.
Today, I took the challenge. And here is what I wrote:
[warning; this is a slightly longer post than usual. :) ]
I was excited
when you issued the challenge to unplug ourselves for twenty-four hours. I
reserved the right to call someone on my phone and to work on the computer for
school, but I decided that “unplugged” would mean no Facebook, no YouTube, no
TV or movies, no texting, no email, no blogging, and no radio. I warned my
friends: Don’t text me on Tuesday; I’m
going unplugged.
The
day started off well, but I had to remind myself that I was not allowed to
check my IPhone for the weather forecast. I
guess I can just walk outside to see
if I’ll need a sweater. It felt a little strange to eat breakfast without
checking my email and blog statistics, but as I ate and looked out the window,
I remembered again how much I love the tangy sweetness of strawberries. I also
left for school on time, which has been rare in the last few weeks.
Between
classes, my phone seemed to wink at me from my backpack’s side pocket. My
husband and I usually text each other throughout the day, and I had to fight back
the urge to send him a message several times. With
my hands and attention strangely unoccupied, I began to notice details about my
classmates that I’d never seen before. I felt conversational, but most of them
were texting and I couldn’t catch their eyes. It made me wonder whether I put
off the same vibe of inapproachability when I am fixated on my own phone’s
screen.
I went
to the library, and there I spent one of the most productive hours of the past
month. I chose a table that had no computer so that I would have no chance to “accidentally”
check my blog or email. In one hour, I wrote two letters, copied two recipes
onto index cards, studied for my next class, and completed an entire Bible
study.
My mind felt calm,
sharp, and focused. Usually, I am the queen of multi-tasking. I can cook
dinner, do laundry, study for a test and text a friend simultaneously without
breaking a sweat. But after Tuesday, I wonder if my mind was designed for single-purposed
attention.
I
biked home and arrived feeling hungry, thirsty, and restless. I would usually
check Facebook at this time of day.
I feel disconnected from the real world.
A split second after the thought crossed my mind I realized just how ludicrous
it was. Here I was, enjoying face-to-face interactions with my husband and the
solid realness of my home around me, and I was calling facebook the “real
world.” And missing it. When did I
make that shift? At what point did a
virtual interface with a blue and white color scheme become more real than the
pile of dirty laundry in my closet or the people sitting next to me in class?
Maybe
this hurry-scurry lifestyle of production, day-planners and social media has
contributed to the postmodernist’s skepticism toward anything claiming to be
true or authentic. If they themselves are so enslaved to the busy treadmill, so
spread thin that they are unable to give themselves in a genuine way to any one
thing, why would they expect something different from society at large?
After
a day of being unplugged, I have mixed feelings.
On the one hand, I enjoyed the
calm that settled over my mind in the absence of “white noise”. I felt more
productive, more aware, and more relational than usual, and I can see that a
constant stream of media and gadget use would almost certainly insulate me from
a genuine experience of real life.
But on the other hand, I felt downright rude
to ignore texts from my friends. Unless your phone is lost, or you’re dead, our
instant-feedback society has come to expect near instantaneous responses when
you text someone. The access we have to any person at any time has become
normal—our new reality. To experience the collective reality of our interactive
culture, one must forego some depth of interaction with the objective reality,
and vice versa.
Since
I cannot be a hermit, total absence of white noise is impossible. But in order
to avoid the hopelessness and isolation of an in-genuine existence, I am
determined to periodically step back, turn off my phone, and taste the
strawberries.

Wow, I love this blog. Well written essay. I also wonder what life would be like if everyone just shut down all of the "white noise" for a week... Can you imagine how we would view things differently?
ReplyDeleteHaha that was great and pleasantly well written! I keep wanting to try this to see how my thoughts and perspectives change.
ReplyDeleteFacebook is my noisiest white noise. I gave it up for Lent last year. I normally would just "like" friends' updates, but we got into the nitty gritty of life through email instead of staying in the shallow end on Facebook. This year I also fasted Facebook, but because I'm busier chasing two kids and don't have time to write emails and get out of the house as often, I have felt much lonelier. It is very difficult to have "real" interactions when so many people are too busy for anything but a text or Facebook connection. The quality of my home life is better, but if I continue to stay away (which I'm leaning towards), I'm going to have to find ways of fighting stay-at-home loneliness.
ReplyDeleteGreat thoughts and an enjoyable read. :)
ReplyDelete