I'm learning that college is a unique season in the realm of friendships.
Currently, I live in a 4-mile radius containing thousands of students, all of us possessors of time, spending money, and the energy to pursue relationships with each other.
None of us have kids.
Few of us work more than 25 hours per week.
Until I wear Depends and walk with a cane, I will probably never have so much time at my disposal for social activities again--and neither will they.
Four years can feel like an eternity, but it's really a blip on the timeline of life. We acclimate to the heightened social interaction, but suddenly--it's gone, and we have to trim our expectations to fit the scraps of time left over after work and family.
For me, the transition from college life to career isn't so sudden because I'm overlapping married life with student-hood. Also, the fact that my husband works in full-time ministry to college students means that we will never quite remove ourselves from the student sphere.
But things do change. Even if I physically remain in a college town, my responsibilities and priorities shift.
The hardest part is the day a friend dons her cap and gown and finds a new address. A friendship that was easy to maintain while we shared an apartment, class, or church might strain now for continuation because we simply have different worlds. No matter how good our intentions, it is simply harder to pick up a phone and call someone than it is to chat while folding laundry.
I'm waving my "guilty" flag high on this one. As much as I hate it, I often find that months--even a year--has slipped away since I called a dear friend.
I suppose it's the natural flow of life. We interact for a time, enjoy each other, grow, and then our paths diverge. And honestly, the mental weight of maintaining all friendships at an ever-increasing rate would crush me eventually. Surely a good friend will understand, meeting and talking when we can, as the flow of life allows.
But why does the change of seasons have to hurt so much?

This speaks to my heart so much. I know that seasons of friendships have a purpose but sometimes it's hard to accept that people are only in our lives for a time. Good thing we have Jesus and get to spend eternity together. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm pretty sure you're feeling some of the same stuff I am. I love you so much, Kerri!
Delete