May 26, 2012

Italy: Ciao for now!

Even though the goodbyes were hard, this last day in Italy was sweet and full. 

We spent the day in Milan's throbbing heart: a bustling downtown area filled with tourists, shops, and ancient architecture. After lunch with other teammates, many of our new friends from English clubs met us at the Duomo. (see pic!>>) Some of us climbed to the roof, and I was amazed by the detail carved into parts of the building that would never be seen from the ground. Even though the name of the cathedral means "made by man", the building's creators must have had a greater Audience in mind, one who would see the painstaking details so far from the street. 

As we walked, I thanked God for the Italian students and for the friendships we've formed in these past two weeks. Helena, Stefano, Belentina, Natalya, Lisa, Federico, Andrea...and so many others--all are so precious to me now. I knew before I came that it was a relational trip, but now I am beginning to understand the importance of long-term investment in these students. 

Some of my teammates had been here before, and I was amazed at their persistent, faithful love shown to the students that they had met in past years. It was because they had prayed, facebooked, and continued contact with those students that so many returned. Not only did they return; many of them were open to discussing spiritual things for the first time, and almost five of them have even said that they want to begin studying the Bible with the long-term missionaries here! 

Love shown once can be good, even influential. But to persistently, constantly, faithfully love someone over time--this could change the world. 

I am seriously asking God whether He wants me to come back next year (as I hope!), and asking Him for wisdom in how to keep up with my new friends. 

The beautiful sky last night! 

Ohhhh, I'll miss this food....


Helena!


Lisa!


What an amazing group. And each person is so precious to God! 

Please pray for us to have a safe trip and that we actually sleep on the plane! And pray that hubby and I get over jetlag quickly, especially since we have to re-pack and leave for Colorado on Tuesday. :)  A marathon, but Jesus is enough to help us through it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are very appreciated, but please keep them polite! I will delete any that are offensive.