Instead of holding the usual English Clubs this afternoon,
we took our new friends on a walk-your-legs-off version of the great American sleepover
staple: the scavenger hunt.
The two teams were given several envelopes, each holding a
rhyming clue that would lead them to the next point on their quest. At each
stop, the entire team had to pose for a picture while doing what the clue
demanded.
For example, at one
stop we bought gelato, at another stop we climbed a playground’s monkey bars,
and at another, we posed by the life-size statue of an orca whale that sits in
the lobby of the geology building on the University campus. (Don’t ask…I have
NO idea what an orca whale has to do with geology.)
I don't think our Italian friends had never done anything so random, silly, or so...American. Some of them were a little shy of the goofy-ness we indulged in so freely, but deep down, I think they liked it. Frank, who lives here full-time, later assured me that they will lose their shyness soon. "At the end of these two weeks", he said, "many of them will be crying. They will have friendships with you that are deeper than they ever imagined they could have."
Even before the conversation with Frank, I had noticed that many of my new friends seemed lonely, discouraged, or cynical about life. Some are flippant and nonchalant, a crust that they wear to guard some hidden hurt. Some fish for compliments and attention, glowing when they are given but always needing more.
As we power-walked from clue to clue, we talked about life, about culture, about their families and their plans for the future. I often walked with Natalya, a beautiful girl two years older than me.
I REALLY want to upload the pictures and show you how well
our new friends did on their very first scavenger hunt, but alas…they are in
Jordan’s camera, he is asleep from a sugar-and-coffee crash, and I’m just not
savvy enough to figure out how to do it.
However, I do have
one picture that I took with my phone:
The team climbed a small version of Mount Everest close to
campus to find a clue taped to a pole at the summit. Yes, it really was as vertical
as it looks (check out our shadows!), and I was pretty winded after reaching the top!
Here are a few more pictures from the day:
Nearly every wall in Italy is decorated with graffiti, but no one seems to mind.This one is next to the tram stop near our hotel. We want to name these gangster-looking fish...any suggestions?
Hubby ordered a Nutella Choccino today. Starbucks could definitely learn some things from the Italians!
My miniature Morroccino was only three inches tall, but every sip flooded my tongue with flavor. Definitely worth 2 Euro.
This is one of my bus passes for the week. As we file conspicuously onto the tram in the morning (Americans are ALWAYS conspicuous, fyi), we insert our cards into a little orange machine that beeps, clicks, and spits it back out.
Tomorrow we will resume the English Clubs. Please pray for:
-Good weather! (It's been beautiful so far!)
-That many students would continue coming to the Clubs.
-That we would listen well, and take every opportunity to show love.
Huey, Dewey, and Louie!
ReplyDeleteI am so blessed that my friends are in a country with internet access! Thank you so much for your posts, Cherise. They make praying for you guys so much more exciting!