"Even to your old age and gray hairs
I am he, I am he who will sustain you.
I have made you and I will carry you;
I will sustain you and I will rescue you." (Isaiah 46:4)
I've always been touched by this verse, but always for someone else. Someone who had gray hair. Each time I read it, I would tuck it away in a mental filing cabinet with a little post-it note that said, "For one day when I'm a grandma." After my kids are grown, and I sit, fragile, next to an African Violet in a sterile-smelling nursing home, that's the day I'll need it.
Well, I needed it today.
I woke up late and groggy, with crumpled hair and eyes that refused to open fully. My normal jolt of morning adrenaline kicked in as I showered, but it seemed watered-down somehow.
I wasn't the only one who was feeling bad; Lindsay was fighting sinus issues. The team prayed for us, but as we began to sing, all I could do was sit with my hands open on my lap as if to receive. Jesus, fill me with energy, I prayed.
The previous day's devotion about faith was bumping around in my head like shoes in a dryer. I wondered foggily, would it be more obedient to plunge into the day as usual, trusting God to provide the strength, focus, and energy I lacked? That would definitely take faith.
Or would it be more obedient to lay my tired head down upstairs, trusting God to help the English Clubs go well even if I wasn't there? That would take faith too. And humility. I'm not essential. God can do fine without me.
At the urging of wise friends, I reluctantly and tearfully rode the tiny red elevator back up to the room. I felt useless. Why am I even here?
I slept for four solid hours. When I awoke in the dim, cool room, I lay there feeling miserable.
Then words from God's Word began to crowd softly, tapping at my memory.
Does God break bruised reeds? No. Does He snuff out smoldering wicks? No.
"Even to your old age and gray hair, I am he who sustains you..."
In our culture, the helpless are despised. Unwanted babies are discarded daily. Elderly people can't contribute to society. They drool too much. Put them somewhere else. They are smoldering; snuff them out.
How different from the way God sees them!
And today, I was like an old woman. I was fragile, exhausted, and emotionally drained. I was the one who He carried.
"I have made you and I will carry you..."
I think I'm beginning to see the truth: that my value has nothing to do with how much I contribute. It has everything to do with the fact that I am His.
P.S.
Today was our 11-month wedding anniversary! (Yes, we're still celebrating each month...stop rolling your eyes.) He was so incredibly sweet to me today. :)

You have discovered an awesome truth, an invaluable one and I hope it stays with you deep in your soul. God bless. Joyce
ReplyDeleteApart from God we have no good thing, But as for the Saints (Cherise) who are in the earth they are the Majestic ((my heros) in whom is all my delight. Psalm 16:2-3 You are valueble to God and to all the saints. And today I believe that you learned the importance of receiving God's grace!!
DeleteThis made my eyes water. Thank you for sharing this intimate discovery. It's beautiful, Cherise, and I'm telling my friends to read it. I hope you are feeling better.
ReplyDeleteSuch encouraging words and scripture! It's so neat how God reveals His truths through common things such as feeling ill or seeing His creation.
ReplyDelete